Monday, December 10, 2012

Found Objects

Exciting bits of collected information from the most recent week of wildlife, soundscapes and scenery on this strange peninsula.

Art and Money do not go togethor:
One of the most depressing things this week was reading about the sad reality of the art world. Its a really strange business when "its disconcerting" that a single one of your buyers goes missing. Everyone of or relating to making money off of (or spending money on) fine art was at Art Basel this weekend, schmoozing, boozing, and perusing . And I want to be a part of this?

but... Beyonce wearing the Resort 12/13 440 Top Handle handbag...at Basel

Too efficient to be convincingly human:
I met a fellow who listens to the podcast of Dreyfus's Heidegger lectures while he runs. And he's been through them THREE TIMES. I feel like my entire life has been invalidated. He also knew that Dreyfus was inspiration for the professor from Futurama.



the Dirty Projectors
I've listened to "Morning Better Last" several times, once just to listen and several times while painting/drawing. I'm liking it because it keeps up the spirit of the minimalist composers I've been listening to but distilled into short songs that follow each other like little rooms of varying texture. I like as well their moments of indie-pop perfection, which are classy, catchy, and demonstrate a nice range. Like this one from the newer Bitte Orca (which, if you like, you can also hear covered by Solagne Knowles):

Guess I got my swagger back
Lol. of Montreal is seeing Kevin getting back into the groove of the energetic, quirky, eye-candy show. I feel mildly cheated that I ended up at the one depresso, I'm just going to ironically dump balloons on you while I pretend to be God telling you that you're an irrelevant piece of shit performance.


Sunday worship at the de Young
I went to the Taste for Modernism exhibit at the de Young (blog post about this to come) but maybe had more fun in their permanent collection. Second time I'd been through, but with fresh eyes I decided to sit down in front of this Jo Baer and listen to some Morton Feldman. I think it may have been the most interesting 15 minutes of my life.



1 comment: